On the place where there is the old presbytery, stood before 1600 the ‘Schans’ (=entrenchment), a water give shelter to wandering robber gangs.
A small house, with a drawbridge was located on the site of the entrance gate of the presbytery. The first provost, the Rev. Vanmuysen was assigned this house. It was a paltry affair but a larger house was built in 1792, where the provost also taught to the children. In 1853 the foundation stone of the presbytery was laid. This building will undergo several renovations during the years
Take a look at the old postcards too
This article is also available in Nederlands