Town Hall

Town Hall


The Town Hall is build in a typical, 19th century neoclassical style. Mayor Vander Elst laid the first stone on July 22 1856. The triangular fronton that is now decorates the façade of the town hall, used to be arched.

The side walls used to be the public library, the municipal school and the police station. Around 1945 the new State comprehensive school of Leopoldsburg was briefly allowed two classrooms. Between 1950 and 1960 the back was build on for the Technical Service and Fire department.

In 2018 the building was renewed. The entrance hall was stripped, the roof can be viewed from the inside, and a completely new block was placed for the municipal services. For many inhabitants it looks like an aquarium.


Check out the old postcards too

This article is also available in Nederlands