The Zegeplaats (Victory Place) has had its place in the Camp of Beverlo for a long time. For example, we know that until 1913 the alarm cannon, which ensured the permanent service of hourly reporting, was on the Zegeplaats. There was a shot at five o’clock to wake up (at six o’clock in winter), one at noon, and one at the taptoe (the sign that the pubs should close) at 9 p.m. Repeated shots rang out in the event of a fire or alarm.
This cannon was placed at the entrance of the Royal Park, where two straw huts were used as lodging and waiting room for the artillerymen.
On old postcards we see that the Zegeplaats also became a sports square. We even see that there was a real obstacle course. The statue of Chazal, which has been there since 1908, has always contributed to recognizing the Zegeplaats.
In recent years, the Zegeplaats has been regularly used for military parades, for jumping competitions, for Buitenbeenpop, but also as a parking lot for various activities.
Check out the old postcards too
Dit artikel is ook beschikbaar in het Nederlands