Gaillon momument

The Gaillon monument was erected after the First World War. It remembers the transfer of the infantry-school from Camp Beverlo to Gaillon in France.

The monument has a copper plaque, on which following text is written in both vernacular languages :
‘On 5-1-1915 a school was raised in Gaillon (France) for the training of infantry officers of the Belgian Army. When after the war she was transferred back, 2.000 pupils had taken lessons. From all those pupils 380 died on the field of glory.’.

The monument used to be aside the Hechtelsesteenweg (Road to Hechtel – see photo underneath) facing the Tacambaro-monument and was transferred to the barracks ‘Antwerpen’, where the infantry-school was originally seated.

Photo of the Gaillon monument located along the Hechtselsesteenweg

Check out the old postcards too

Dit artikel is ook beschikbaar in het Nederlands