Despite the expansion and improvement of the road network, the army was not yet able to supply sufficiently and especially fast enough. One looked forward to a transport possibility over the water. In almost three years, between 1854 and 1857, a connecting channel between Leopoldsburg and the ‘Kempische Vaart’ was digged out by thousands of workers.
Then the channel basin was also laid out. Afterwards, a shallow swimming pool was demarcated (temporarily) where the soldiers learned to swim. The canal did not only provide efficient and smooth transport at the time, but it also served to irrigate and render fertile soil.
The canal was never modernized, because it allowed only limited-tonnage vessels, it lost its economic interest, especially because in 1878 the first train stopped in Leopoldsburg.
Today the canal fulfills a tourist role. The canal basin and a part of the canal serve as a marina, equipped with all possible accommodations for the pleasure boats.
1 The channel was not fully drawn straight, but followed the same relief line of relief
Check out the old postcards too
Temporary swimming pool in the canal basin
Dit artikel is ook beschikbaar in het Nederlands