History | Hamlets of Leopoldsburg & Heppen | Colleteke Rijstpap | Cycling tracksDuring WW II | Disaster of May 28 1944 – OL Lady Visitation | The Mayors

HAMLETS OF LEOPOLDSBURG & HEPPEN

 

At the end of the nineteenth century, the transitional areas between Leopoldsburg and its surrounding municipalities gradually became densely populated. The expansion of the municipality was carefully prepared and executed. The streets and avenues were laid out before the construction could begin. In order to prevent a proliferation, the municipal authorities strictly admit that the building owners meticulously followed all building regulations and the development plan. This was particularly noticeable at the expansion of the municipality in the direction of Lommel, where the so-called ‘Strooiendorp’ was created, and in the direction of Heppen, where the ‘Geleeg’ was built. No construction plan was drawn up for the south of the municipality.

Het Centrum (center)

Het Strooiendorp (straw village)

Het Geleeg

De Boskant (woodside)

De Immert