Click to go to the postcards

Click to go to the postcards

 

It is unclear when the airport was built parallel to the Hechtelsesteenweg. Around 1900 communication balloons  were already using the site, but the first aircraft landed there only on June 06, 1910. This was also the first aerial voyage over Belgium. In the summer of 1913 the airport was benamed as a military auxiliary airfield and the first buildings also stem from this period. Therefore, the heather was leveled and several hangars were placed, but not the big one that was scheduled. The first buildings were shown on maps after 1920. To intense air traffic it never came.

Today, the airport is used by Aero Club Sanicole, which maintains close ties with the military. Thanks to their annual Airshow tenthoudands of spectators find their way to the airfield every year again. Photos can be found in this gallery.