Click to go to the postcards

 

The complex of the military slaughterhouse was built in the typical Dutch style, as several other buildings in the camp. In the course of the years, the complex was developed. Before the war it consisted of two buildings: the actual slaughterhouse, built in 1850, and a pig farm, built in 1913. The department provided the meat for the meals of the troops in the camp. During the exercises, 80 animals were daily slaughtered. Out of economic consideration an investment was made in a pig farm alongside the slaughterhouse. The food leftovers of the messes, that were previously sold to civilian companies, were the main source of food for the animals.

 

This post is also available in: Dutch