Click to go to the postcards

The water tower was built between 1923 and 1925. It was built on top of a heavy concrete slab and is 35m high. He is one of the oldest structures in reinforced concrete of the country.
The total height of the water tower is 34.85 m. In the middle of the tower is a shaft that serves as staircase and runs all the way up to the top of the tower. The discharge line goes via the shaft into the tub. Due to the place of the arrangement (highest point) and the height of the tanks, the pressure on the tap was kept at a maximum of 3.6 bar and at least 3 bar.

The tub consists of two concentric tanks, namely an inner and outer shell. Both are 10m deep, but only up to a height of 6.4m filled with water. Each tub contains
500.000l water, making a total of 1.000.000l water. This structure made it possible to do repairs or cleaning on one of the tubs while the other remained employed.

 The function of the water tower was twofold:

  • served as a water reserve at peak consumption

  • was the pressure stabilizer on the water supply

Generalities:

  • was responsible for the production and supply of high quality drinking water for the Camp and the town of Leopoldsburg. Since 2000 supplies to the Camp stopped and since 2013 supplies to Leopoldsburg have stopped as well;

  • Fot a daily production of 2 million liters of drinking water;

  •  Management and operation done by the Armed Forces (4KDR);

  • Number of consumers in December 1994: 12 345 (residents of Leopoldsburg: 8996 – Occupation garrison: 3349).

With thanks to CC INFRA – Noord & the Museum ‘Kamp van Beverlo’ vfor sharing a lot of  information.

An interessanting text of the Local History Society Leopoldsburg association about the Water tower of Camp Beverlo can be found HERE.

 

This post is also available in: Dutch