De_Ijskelder

Click to go to the postcards

 

Already in 1837 a large icehouse of 80 m³ was constructed in the Royal Park . In the winter the ice was collected from marshes in the vicinity of the Camp. It was kept in the icehouse and was used by the military hospital to treat swellings or reduce fever, and in the kitchen of the Royal Palace. Above the icehouse there was a hillock with kiosk that acted as belvedere in the park.

This post is also available in: Dutch