Click to go to the postcards
The Gaillon monument was erected after the First World War. It remembers the transfer of the infantryschool from Camp Beverlo to Gaillon in France.
The monument has a copper plaque, on which following text is written in both vernacular languages :
‘On 5-1-1915 a school was raised in Gaillon (France) for the training of infantry officers of the Belgian Army. When after the war she was transferred back, 2.000 pupils had taken lessons. From all those pupils 380 died on the field of glory.’.
The monument used to be aside the Hechtelsesteenweg (Road to Hechtel) facing the Tacambaro-monument and was transfered to the barracks ‘Antwerpen’, where the infantryschool was originally seated.
This post is also available in: