|Florent De Keyser, born in Bierbeek on April 11, 1897, was in 1940 Warrent Officer (adjudant) of the police in Leopoldsburg. In 1944 he was arrested by the Germans as an agent with the secret service ‘Marc’. After a stay of 5 years in the prison of Sint-Gillis (Brussels) he was deported to Germany.|
Warrent Officer De Keyser died in the concentration camp ‘Groß-Rosen’ on December 11, 1944.
|The Bergstraat (Hillstreet) is located at the Zandberg (Sandhill). The back of the Zandberg used to be of reasonable height. It was a part of the dunes which reached from Hechtel over the Military Domain to ‘het Geleeg’.|
|Louis Bernheim (1861 – 1931) was, as a lieutenant-general, the commander of the 1st Army Divison during World War I. He was one of the orginasors of the defence of the Ijzerfront (front at the river Ijzer). Less fine was his strong anti-Flemish attitude*, by which he was hated by the Vlaamse Frontbeweging (Flemish Front-movement). As a result of his wish to be cremated, the debate about cremation was opened (at that time it was still forbidden by law) which was very much contested by the Catholics, among them cardinal Van Roey.(* At one time he refused to retrieve the bodies of two Flemish frontsoldiers, because one of them was a “flamingant” (= supporter of the Flemish Movement.)|
|General Alois Biebuyck (Sint-Eloois-Vijve 06/20/1860 – Elsene 01/28/1944)|
During the mobilization (1914) he was a colonel, the very first commander of the newly formed 2nd Regiment Karabiniers. Under his command the regiment fought at Antwerp and Lier. While he was staying behind the river IJzer, he got three times hit by a bullet on one day. After an unfinished recovery of 7 months, he returned to the front. As a General-Major he had the command over the ‘Brigade Jagers te Voet’. He was also appointed to Aide-de-Camp of the King.
In 1916 he received the command over the 6th armydivision and later even the ‘Zuidelijke Groepering’ (Southern Grouping= French, Belgian and British units). He distinguished himself at Passendale, Moorslede and around the river Leie (1918). He was rewarded several decorations for his heroic behaviour.
|Pieter Bruegel de Oudere (the old), born ca. 1525 and deceased in Brussels on September 5 1569. According to Carel Mander he was tought by Pieter Coecke van Aelst and Hiëronymus Cock, in Antwerp. He travelled in France, from the Swiss Alps to Italy; visited Rome, Napels, Messina and returned to Antwerp in 1553. After 1560 he moved to Brussels. He got married with Mayken Coecke, daughter of Pieter Coecke van Aelst and later with Maria Verhulst, alias Bessemers.The artistic career of Pieter Bruegel has been short. About fifty paintings of him are known. Most of them are signed and dated, the earliest are from the time he returned from Italy, although some were drawn before are during the trip. In these you can already see the great landscape painter he’ll become.|
|Willem Hendrickx, the first mayor of Heppen, was born in Diest in 1807. His parents were egg merchants, but allowed their son to study for several years, before entering their shop. When the military camp moved from Diest to Beverlo (1835), Willem also moved his commerce. He met Therese Theys in Heppen and got married with her in 1839.|
The pastor gave Willem the advice to enter local politics. Since January 1846 he became town councilor in Beverlo and on Februari 23 he becamealderman. This made him the ideal man to become first mayor of Heppen.
Willem Hendrickx died in Heppen op August 28 1888. About his funeral on September 11 stories continued spreading for years. People wouldn’t quickly forget the ‘Zuipvaart van de oude Burgemeester’ (booze procession of the old mayor).
|A son of Charles Caïmo’s second marriage, Hypoliet, became a soldier. As lieutenant in the Artillery he went to the former Belgian Colony Congo. He died there in 1896. The Caïmolaan was named after him.|
|The street is named after Chapelié, Jean-Jacques Edouard. He was born in Marseille on October 13th 1792 and deceased in Ixelles on October 24th 1864. He was Lieutenant General and also the founder, Study Director and Commandant of the Military Academy from 1834 to 1863; the Vice Chief of the General Staff of the Army in 1832 until 1834. The strange thing is that the accent on the E got lost when naming the street.|
|Chazal, Pierre Emmanuel Félix baron (Tarbes January 1 1808 – Uzos, in the neighbourhood of Pau, January 25 1892), Belgian general and politician, descended of a French family who moved to Brussels in 1814. In 1830 he ranged himself at the side of the anti-Dutch resistance and he was active in the Belgian Revolution. In 1844 he was naturalised Belgian. From 1847 to 1850 and from 1859 to 1866 he was Minister of War. During his second term of office he had the bill of Brialmont approved and executed. This made it possible that a large enclosure around Antwerp was build. In 1871 he was spokesman of a mixed military commission, which propagated the personal compulsory service. He retreated on his estate in Uzos in 1875. More info can be found in ‘Monuments‘.|
|Named after Evariste Couwenbergh mayor of Leopoldsburg of June 30, 1898 to May 3, 1907. He was born in Diest on March 12, 1829 and died on May 3, 1907.|